Information and summary of main features:
- These amphibians can be found in northern Africa, North America, Asia and Europe.
- There are several species, but the best known are: Iberian newt, newt palmate, alpine newt, marbled newt and the pit-salamander.
- During the breeding phase, the newts are in areas with freshwater.
- The newts' basic food is based on small insects.
- They have a body similar to that of lizards.
- Many species have strong coloration (red, green, orange) to scare off predators. Also present toxins in your skin.
- They have four identical legs in size and a large tail.
"Fishworms' waterworms have teeth."
- Have the ability to regenerate some parts of the body (eyes, heart, intestines, among others).
- Newt taricha, found mainly in North America, produces a toxin (poison) so potent that it can even kill a human being.