Optional

Gregor Mendel



Gregor Mendel: Important Genetic Studies

Introduction - who was it

Gregor Mendel was a leading 19th century Austrian Catholic biologist, botanist, meteorologist and monk. Conducted important research in the areas of Genetics and Plant Biology.

He was born on July 20, 1822, in a small village called Heinzendorf, in present-day Austria. He was named after Johann Mendel, changing his name to Gregor after joining the Augustinian religious order. He was ordained a priest in the year 1847.

Short Biography and Scientific Studies

Between 1851 and 1853 he studied Natural History at the University of Vienna. In this course, I acquired a lot of knowledge that would be extremely important for the development of his theories (laws).

He also took advantage of the knowledge acquired from his father, who was a gardener, to start researching fruit trees. In 1856 he was already researching peas in the monastery gardens.

His main theory was that plant characteristics (colors, for example) were due to hereditary elements (now known as genes). Since he spent most of his time devoting himself to the administrative activities of the monastery, he set aside his research on the study of heredity.

He died on January 6, 1884 without having his studies recognized in life. Only in the early twentieth century could some researchers ascertain the importance of Mendel's discoveries to the world of genetics.

Mendel's Laws

First law: also known as the Law of Segregation, explains that in the phase of formation of gametes, the pairs of factors segregate.

Second Law: also known as the Uniformity law, states that the characteristics of an individual are not determined by the combination of parent genes, but by the dominant trait of one parent (dominant trait).

Third Law: also known as the Gene Recombination Law, explains that each of the pure characteristics of each of each variety (color, skin roughness, etc.) is transmitted to a second generation independently of each other.

Statue in honor of Gregor Mendel in the city of Brno (Czech Republic).