Question and Answer about the Skeletal System
What are the functions of the skeletal system?
- Physical support of the body.
- Protection of vital structures (organs) of the human body (lungs, heart, brain etc.).
- Provide mechanical basis for body movement.
- Store some key chemical elements for the body such as calcium. It also stores other minerals and fat.
- Acts in the exchange of calcium and phosphate salts.
- It also has the function of producing blood cells through the red bone marrow (present inside some bones).
Elaine Barbosa de Souza
Undergraduate student in Biological Sciences at Methodist University of São Paulo.
- The question was submitted to the Toda Biologia website by: Ana Cristina F.… Viotti on 17/06/2019.